Friday, January 15, 2010

Settling In - Week 2, Loft Design

So tonight is the big night - heading to Home Depot to purchase materials to build the loft bed! After several arguments with boyfriend on the topic (we're both very opinionated on design and construction topics), we finally sat down in the room the night before I moved in and spent an hour laying out the design of the loft on the floor in masking tape. I think we came up with a great plan, and today are just finishing up making the materials list, and hopefully at least the basic structure will be completed this weekend (I love it when random holidays pop up, giving me an extra day).

If you click on the picture, you can probably read my notes a little better, but essentially the majority of it is an enclosed "storage locker" where I will store things like my headboard and footboard, extra tables, and so on. This will be accessible from the top (for large things like the headboard and footboard, and from the right side, where you can see a door. The left side has open shelving for clothes storage, which is opposite my closet doors, which is convenient for figuring out what to wear. My desk will go in the space in the middle, and on either side will be two shelving units on wheels, that aren't attached to the loft bed. This is important, as the righthand side shelves have to wheel out in order to access the storage locker door. Seeing as how the loft leaves about 20" of space on either side, that was the most difficult part to figure out (the access to the storage locker).

The bottom of the loft will be 5' high, which leaves about 3.75' above the mattresses, which is plenty of room to sit up in, which was important to me. And because everything under the front half of the loft is a separate piece of furniture, the loft will be cantilevered over that section, so hopefully that will make it look a little more airy and less like a solid box taking up the majority of my bedroom. Stay tuned for construction pictures!

loft dimensioned

4 comments:

Chloƫ, Wardrobe Quarry said...

This is a cool blog, I scrolled down to read some of your other posts. It's good to see some interior design posts.

McLaura said...

Thanks for stopping by! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

I'm so excited to see how this project turns out! We spent a good 5 hours on one shelf of a built-in shelf project on Saturday... hopefully you had a little more success on your loft :).

McLaura said...

Kasey - I'd love to see your project as well! By now I should realize that every project will take a minimum of 3 times as long as I think it should, but I am still wildly optimistic about timing. :)

Related Posts

Blog Widget by LinkWithin