Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Kitchen Beautification, Part 3

So I have two votes for white appliances, two votes for silver appliances, and two votes for "other", whatever that means. No one seems to like black, which I find interesting. So I'm no closer to deciding what I would like for my appliances. Over the weekend, I thought I should revamp my approach, and scour my house books for pictures that had an overall feel of what I wanted. Seeing as how I don't know what I want, it turned out to not be as productive as I had hoped, but there were a couple of options.

The first option that I found in my house books is a color scheme based on a turquoise, ivory, yellow, anything in that sort of family. The picture below is a couple of pages from my house book on the kitchen floor.

IMG_0190

In order to translate this into my kitchen, I'm thinking of keeping the walls ivory, painting the cupboards a turquoise color, and accenting with yellows and creams. For the backsplash, there are two different treatments that I'm thinking of. One treatment that I like a lot is a pressed tin backsplash. It's cheaper than tile, and is quite easy to install, so I think it's a good option. I can go either with a silver color, or it could be painted, but I'm leaning towards silver. The second treatment would be a subway tile backsplash, in a turquoise color.

For the pressed tin backsplash, I've done two mock-ups (don't laugh at my paint skills), for the different appliance options. The first one is leaving them the way they are, to mimic white, and second one with stainless steel, which I think maybe is a bit much with the backsplash. In this case, it might be nice to paint the backsplash to match the walls, which are a creamy color. It's hard to tell in the picture, because of the cool lighting, but the overall coloring of the kitchen currently is a warm, creamish color, which fits much better with the house book pictures above.


The other option is to paint the cupboards a creamy color to match the walls, and then have a turquoise tile backsplash, as shown below in 3 different variations.




So this is a first cut at a kitchen revamp that could potentially be done in a rental, for low cost. Obviously, the kitchen appliances are a big investment, but as I said before, I think they need to be replaced and that would be a landlord sort of issue. Estimating on the high side, the rest of the cost breakdown:


Primer and paint for cupboards ~ $50
Pressed tin backsplash or tile backsplash ~ $50


So there you have it folks, my first attempt, with five different options. Let me know which one you like best!




Any thoughts, suggestions, improvements? I have at least one more idea/color scheme up my sleeve, so stay tuned for that next!

No comments:

Related Posts

Blog Widget by LinkWithin