Friday, February 27, 2009

Restaurant Week Goodness

So last night Boyfriend and I took advantage of the extended Restaurant Week deal at PS 7s, which was by far our favorite pick from the last Restaurant Week. It's one of those restaurants that I just can't afford normally, and even during the Restaurant Week special ($35.09 for 3 course meal), by the time you add drinks and tax (seriously, I don't understand why DC has a 10% food tax), it's not exactly nice to the budget. So it's a once a year kinda place, but definitely worth it.

Both Boyfriend and I started off with the poached mussels in coconut milk and red Thai curry with crispy rice noodles, which was a really unique approach to mussels and completely delicious. I think I would have been completely happy just eating that for dinner.

For the main course, I had the soy glazed cod with black rice, shrimp and sweet potato fritter, and a spicy cucumber salad. The black rice wasn't the most interesting item on the plate, but the rest of my food made up for it. The cucumber salad had a bit too much seasoning for my taste, as it was really overpowering, but it was a good salad. The cod was amazing, as well as my favorite part of the main course, the fritter. I'm seriously going to have to figure out how to make them, because if someone can make sweet potatoes taste good to me, they have talent.

Boyfriend ordered the pan seared salmon with endive, walnuts and watercress salad, parsnip puree and orange reduction. Once again, the starch won it out for me on his plate, as the parsnip puree was smooth and deliciously rich. The salmon was a tad bit overcooked, but the sauce was really good.

For dessert, I opted for the banana crisp with rum and coke ice cream, and I was not disappointed. The combination was quite good, even though the ice cream didn't have a very strong flavor. Boyfriend got his ice cream maker for Christmas, despite the fact I had made fun of him for asking for it, and is now inspired to try and make something similar. He went for the pineapple polenta cake with ginger spice syrup and red currant gel, which I thought was a bit dry, but a tastier version of a pineapple upside down cake.

All in all, two thumbs up.

No comments:

Related Posts

Blog Widget by LinkWithin